Monday, February 24, 2014

Steps to Take During a Plumbing Emergency



Plumbing problems can occur at any time of the night or day. Broken pipes and faucets can quickly lead to floods that waste water and damage your belongings, furnishings, and décor. During a plumbing emergency, taking quick action and contacting a plumber immediately will minimize damage and stress.

Turn Off the Water

Toilets, sinks, and appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are equipped with a nearby shutoff valve that cuts water flow to the fixture in the event of an emergency. These small silver or gray valves are typically located on the wall near the floor. Toilet shutoff valves are often found below and behind the toilet bowl, while a sink shutoff valve may be hidden inside the cabinetry that supports the sink. Once you locate the valve, turn it clockwise until the incoming water flow ceases.

If you cannot find the appliance’s shutoff valve or you are experiencing a broken pipe or leaking outdoor faucet, you should instead turn off the main water supply to your home. Your home’s main shutoff valve can be found near your water meter. This shutoff valve may be either a circular valve or a lever. Turn the circular valve clockwise or pull the lever until it is perpendicular to your pipe to shut off your water main.

Plunge Clogs

If you are experiencing a severe clog in your plumbing, avoid the use of chemical drain cleaners to clear it. These harsh solutions can warp plumbing pipes, damage finishes, and burn your skin. Instead, use a plunger to try loosening the clog mechanically. You may need to plunge the drain several times before the clog can be dislodged. If you aren’t successful in removing a clog with a plunger, it’s time to call your plumber for professional assistance.

Beacon Plumbing, Heating & Mechanical provides emergency plumbing, drain, sewer, and heating solutions throughout the Seattle area. You can reach us 24 hours a day by calling (206) 452-4363 to speak with an experienced plumber. Click through our blog to find more information and tips about preventing and handling plumbing emergencies.


15 comments:

  1. I have used natural drain method in my shower and my toilet, and it has never failed me. I recently had to go three rounds with my bathtub drain. It was a mighty battle, but my baking soda came through for me!

    Thanks
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turning off the water is a very important thing to know. It came in handy one time when there was a small pipe burst in our basement. Of course I know how to turn the water off, but the problem became being able to. The valve had been rusted over time and made it difficult to turn. I got some help from my husband and things all worked out.
    http://www.pegasusservices.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's important to remember to turn the water off when you're having a plumbing emergency. It must have been really tough to run off the water in your house with a rusty valve. I live alone, so I wouldn't be able to do that. I would need to call a plumber to help me turn it off, then repair my plumbing for me.
      http://www.callthedraindoctor.com

      Delete
  3. Absolutely exceptional, brilliant stuff, I am much pleased while reading this. plumber in long beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really,I appreciate for providing the great info in this website that to using the nice info in this blog. I definitely loved every little bit of it. 

    large diameter pipelining

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am learning to boost my plumbing skills on this blog. I may not be a pro, but the knowledge, technique and procedures can guide my day to day carpentry and mason works. i am thankful to all bloggers.
    Edmonton Plumbing Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  6. It goes without saying that although everyone requires working plumbing in their homes, most have no idea what to do when something goes wrong. Plumbers, thus, will always be called upon because there is always repair work to do when a plumbing system fails. Thanks for your great article about "Steps to Take During a Plumbing Emergency" I've learned more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Plumbing services Gold Coast at low charges and we have expert professional team that offer a fast service 24 hours.

    For more info:- http://elixirplumbing.com.au/plumbing-services/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent your articles links to all my contacts and they all adore it including me.Top Plumber Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..
    Gauteng Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post, these are some really good tips. I always think that one of the best pieces of advice is telling people not to panic! As you show there are some simple steps you can take first if you know the basics about your plumbing. And, of course, it's always a good idea to keep a plumber’s number to hand. Heywood Heating

    ReplyDelete
  11. The complete blogs are really inconceivable and definitely everyone will share this information. Cheshunt Plumbers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for a very intelligent and well-written article. Great job!

    Plumbing Ellicott City
    Plumbing Germantown
    Plumbing Rockville

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really beneficial thought for me. Nice for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for.

    Plumber Margate FL | Plumbing Service Margate

    ReplyDelete